BIG NEWS80 plays
She feels in italics and thinks in CAPITALS
- Henry James
So today I was accepted to graduate school.
And everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.
Basically…I got a phone call from the mailroom saying I had mail.
Usually I then wait 2-3 days to pick it up because I’m lazy and it’s always junk…but today I went…despite Fordham telling me last week it’d be another 4 weeks before I heard back.
I went up there, listening to the beautiful Eric Hutchinson all the way.
I signed for my mail (one magazine, two junk catalogs for technologically savvy people [aka…”why did you ever send this to me?” magazines]), and three junk letters. And then a teeny tiny skinny envelope from Fordham.
To which I of course figured meant I was being rejected.
This envelope was tinyyyy.
So I opened it and literally nearly fell into the nearby ATM (because I am as graceful as a swan…especially when the adrenaline kicks in)
So I called my house and told my littlest brother first, then called the mom, the dad and then I saw my friend working in a nearby office and made some guy go get him so I could tell him…then I called the manfriend. Then I got back to my dorm and told my suitemates and my Jillian and Facebook and the world and you guys!
Worst grammatical paragraph. Apologies.
The biggest weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I was getting ready to have to apply to 8 more grad schools (that I’d have to go to if I didn’t get into Fordham, Columbia or NYU) and now I don’t even need to apply. I get to breathe with the knowledge that someone has accepted me. And a great someone at that. We’ll see if anyone else does and then I’ll make decisions…but man it’s like I floated all day after that.
In just over six months, I’ll be beginning to work towards my masters degree.
Pretty damn good way to end January.
Stay beautiful kids <3
MOST PRODUCTIVE DAY EVER!
HERE IS WHAT I DID TODAY PEOPLE.
1. Woke up at 9am (ALL BY MYSELF WITHOUT AN ALARM!)
2. Went to the gym (WITHOUT SOMEONE FORCING ME)
3. Received an email from a grad school that will not be named (but is not Columbia) saying that they never received my recommendations or transcript, despite me sending it 2 months ago.
5. Ran to Enrollment Services all sweaty from the gym
6. After standing on line for 20 minutes, was told I actually belong in the office across the hall. The one without the line.
7. Was told that they mailed all the transcripts.
8. Made them mail them again.
9. Called the head of grad-school-that-shall-not-be-named’s admissions and left a voicemail.
10. Called another grad school (also not Columbia) to make sure that they’d received everything. They had. I should hear in about 4 weeks. (Insert smiles and joy)
11. Emailed lady.
13. Lady emails me back to tell me “JK WE HAVE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS”
14. Laughed at the ulcer I definitely just created for no reason.
15. Made an appointment with the Dean.
16. Had a meeting with my club’s faculty advisor.
17. Went with my friend to return his TV.
18. Went grocery shopping at Walmart…only spent $61 (which is stupendous)
19. Got Taco Bell.
20. Put away groceries.
21. Finished cleaning my room.
22. With a half hour to spare before Dance Moms.
So I applied to NYU last night
and I called up this morning to make sure all my supporting documents had arrived.
Woman basically hung up on me and told me she was too busy to check…
well I certainly hope it arrived as it’s due in two weeks and I’m not sure there’ll be time to send it again.
Next up? Hunter College!
had the most awesome 30 hours yesterday
ode to a manfriend :] :]
and today I hung out with my momma and bought jeans since I literally have one pair that actually fit properly lmao.
Being 5’1” and my waist size makes it extremely difficult to find jeans that don’t need to be shortened. Thank you Delia’s for making pants for us short folk =P
I think I’ll watch TV and apply to NYU now…
Just heard that I may not hear from Columbia til April
I CAN’T TAKE ALL THIS UNCERTAINTY!
So I called Columbia almost a month ago to make sure my application was complete.
And it was.
And they said I’d receive my answer within the next month.
Which I took to mean January 12.
Ok well, I woke up this morning to an email on my phone from Columbia,
so I was like DEAR GOD IT IS HERE. PLEASE JESUS/BUDDHA/ALLAH/WHOEVERYOUSUPPOSEDGODSARE BLESS MY DECISION FROM COLUMBIA!
And it was just some little “Your application is complete” email. Yeah the website told me that on December 14, but thanks.
So I decided to call…because I did get more grades back since I sent my app and hey maybe Columbia cares. But they’re not answering phones because they’re “reviewing applications”
…they could be reviewing my application. At this very moment.
And maybe that’s why I got the email.
They said on the phone message that they’d be reviewing them until today.
Which means they looked at mine last. Which isn’t good, because then they’ve seen a million really awesome applications!
I’m going to go rock back and forth now.